You don’t need much formal training to start in the service rig industry.  Your crew will work with you to get you up to speed on your responsibilities on the rig floor.  That said, service rig companies expect serious applicants to have some basic certifications.

CAODC is an industry association representing nearly all of Canada's service rig contractors.  CAODC consulted with its membership about common requirements that they look for in candidates. 

Listed below are the three requirements that get your resume past a 'first cut'. 

Scroll further down to see what will make your resume stand out!


What Service Rig Companies first look for on your application:Why You Need It:
Driver’s LicenceHave you noticed how service rigs and their supporting equipment are all truck-mounted?  Service rigs move in the most efficient way possible: the crew drives. 

It’s critical that every crewmember does his/her part moving rig equipment.  To do that, you need a driver’s licence and a clean driving abstract.

Your employer will provide you with commercial vehicle training, but you can only take this training if you already have an unrestricted class 5 driver's licence.  Holders of graduated driver's licences are not eligible for these industry driving programs.

First Aid certificateYou will be working with heavy equipment in a fast-paced environment.  Everyone needs First Aid training so crewmembers can respond quickly to minimize incidents if they happen.


H2S Alive CertificateAll rig crewmembers need this industry-standard safety training.  H2S Alive trains you on the proper safe response when working in close proximity to sour gas. 

Enform offers and oversees this one-day course.  If you are not near an Enform campus, safety training providers in your area may provide this course.  Just be sure that the training provides you with an H2S Alive certificate as other H2S training courses don’t meet industry’s standard.

Service rig contractors see hundreds of resumes! 
What will make your application stand out?

  • a class 5 driver's licence with air brake endorsement
  • a class 3 driver's licence
  • experience showing you are comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions.
  • experience working with heavy equipment.
  • experience in a labour-intensive line of work (ie. construction)
  • experience working in a team environment.

All service rig companies support healthy workplaces.  Most companies require that you pass a drug test before they will hire you.

As a member of a service rig crew, you will work with heavy equipment and at a fast pace.  At the beginning of each shift, you will need to be well-rested, fit and focused.  You'll be working your body hard.  Entry level crewmembers move around heavy pieces of equipment (as much as 60 pounds!)  Remember: plenty of rest and eating nutritious meals and snacks will help you meet the demands of the workday.

Other questions about applying to work on the rigs:

CAODC doesn't operate rigs nor hire rig workers.  CAODC doesn't accept applications nor forward resumes to its member companies. 

Send service rig companies your application.  Listings in the Industry Contact tab are regularly reviewed: you can be sure your application will go to the right department!

CAODC can help if you have a general question about working in the industry or applying to the industry.  Send CAODC your question.

A note regarding the flood in southern Alberta:
(updated June 23, 2013)

Due to the recent flood and evacuation of the Calgary core, the server in CAODC's office is without power.  As a result, CAODC is temporarily unable to  monitor this email account.  CAODC welcomes your comments, but we ask for your patience in receiving a response! 

Many service rig contractors have HR departments outside of Calgary.  CAODC encourages interested individuals to contact service rig contractors directly about employment opportunities.  Please note that some service rig contractors working in the south of province may similarly be impacted by the recent flooding of the Bow, Elbow, and South Saskatchewan Rivers.